Wednesday, 5 October 2016

First Night

I finally sat down in our house today. Not just sitting to wolf down breakfast or dinner, but actually sit down and pretend to relax for a minute. It's been a whirlwind 48 hours, as got our keys, loaded up trucks a few times, began painting right away, had furniture delivered, tried to find time to eat (thank you visiting teachers for cutting out the cooking part), and then help two little boys deal with such a big change.

But last night, as we all crawled into our beds in our new house, I couldn't help but think about how grateful I am to be here. Despite our entire house being a disaster, furniture all out of place, boxes everywhere, dirty dishes and bags of chips on the kitchen counter, clothes in baskets around the living room, and the boys sleeping in our room, it felt good to be home.

Derek and I have talked a lot about how places come to mean so much to us. When BYU tore down Heritage Halls I cried a little. It was where I met Derek, where I learned so much about myself as a freshman on my own, and where I became an "adult." Our first little basement apartment--I thought for sure I would be thrilled to leave that heater-less AC-less place with low ceilings and mold, but when it came down to it, I was sad. Number 4 Panton Street--don't get me started. The point is, we're looking forward to finding out how much this little blue house is going to mean to us.

I hope we'll be here a while. Long enough for Henry to go to elementary school, even beyond. Long enough for Johnny to learn to ride a bike in the driveway. Hopefully we'll bring a new baby or two home here. I want this house to be where Derek and I learn a whole lot about renovation, taking care of our own yard, and perhaps where Derek and Jared can develop new inventions in the garage.

There's so much potential in this house, with it's quirky walls, avocado toilet and tub, 1970s kitchen, and radiators for heat. Not just physically, but for our family.

So last night, our first night here, was the beginning of a thousand and one adventures. We Brutons, we like to go adventuring. And now that we've begun this one, I can't wait to spent as many nights tucked in my bed in my own house, my little blue house, for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment