Sunday, 24 April 2016

On our Way to Disney...by way of San Diego and Huntington Beach

We finally made it to Disneyland! Ok, I know--I have been to Disneyland far more than most people can even dream of. But we've been scrimping and saving since we got home from England so we could take Henry, and then when Johnny was born I knew IT WAS TIME. So, I did some babysitting, we did lots of saving, Henry did odd jobs for Nana and Papa, and we finally got enough together to go this last week!

We drove straight through Saturday, starting at about 8:00. The boys were SO good. We brought Derek's tablet and a little DVD drive, and Henry was so excited to watch movies in the car. I had also collected little prizes and wrapped them up. He got to choose one every couple of hours. That was one of the best ideas ever--it really helped when he was having a hard time. I'd say "are you ready for a prize?" and it would keep him happy for at least another hour. Whew!
Mickey looking out the window "cause he's so excited!"

We made a few brief stops, but really, we drove and drove. We had a good lunch stop in St. George where we played at a playground near the Temple for about an hour. That was wonderful. Henry ran around for a bit, used the potty (after much negotiation), and then we jumped back in the car and headed on down to California.


We stayed with my Aunt Kim that night in San Diego. We visited, Henry and Johnny had a great time petting and playing with her dogs/puppies, and relaxed. Sunday morning we took it easy--too easy, really. By the time we left for church, we were all really excited to get out and DO something!

Church was WONDERFUL. Derek and I both felt so much peace attending Sacrament meeting in the Del Mar Ward. The boys were restless, but it was just so nice to take the Sacrament and sing and listen to some great talks about the gospel.

After church, we headed up to Huntington Beach to meet up with Derek's Aunt and Uncle who he hasn't seen in 17 years! We met at the Pier and walked around, then headed down to the beach. Henry LOVED the sand. Unfortunately, we sent Derek and John to put the buggy back in the car, and they missed out on the beach because...Henry got smashed by a wave! He was just dipping his toes in, but a big wave sent him straight on his back. Surprisingly, he wasn't upset by it at all. He just got really cold. i took his wet clothes off and let him run around in his undies, but he was still shivering.
By the time we got back with Daddy and Johnny, he was shivering and turning blue. We said good-bye and headed to Anaheim and our hotel.

We really had a lovely visit with Char and Tom. I've been wanting to meet them for years, literally. They were just as friendly and wonderful as I knew they would be. I'm sure that if we lived close, we could be such great friends. It was fun to see them, even if it was only for an hour.







When we arrived at the hotel, we went and got some dinner (at McDonald's, of course) and then gave the boys a much needed bath. They both went to bed very quickly, which was wonderful because we were all so tired. And the next day we had a busy day because....it would be our first Disney Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment