Wednesday, 29 June 2016

3 Boys in Dirt: Payson Lakes Camping

We spent a few days this week up at Payson Lakes campground, one of our favorite places to camp as a Schofield family. Nana, Papa, Dallon, Sam, Greg, Caleb, Chels, and Jeremy were there, which made it a whole lot of fun. (we missed Derek a lot, who was working in Vernal.)

When we arrived at our campsite, Henry immediately began scampering around exploring. John immediately began eating the dirt. We had a great site, with big trees and a few spots for tents. Henry loved helping Papa and Dallon get the tent set up, and he and John wanted to play in it as soon as the door was unzipped. Poor Johnny; he tried to crawl out, but his feet kept getting stuck so he would give him and go crawling around the inside laughing.






It only took a few minutes before the boys favorite spot was discovered, christened "The Dirt Box" by Henry. It was actually a tent site, with a little trail leading down to it from the fire pit, but it was quite large with very soft dirt to play in. Henry, Caleb, and John spent most of the next 36 hours down there playing in the dirt. We didn't bring many toys with us, so they used spoons, cups, knives, and other castaways from the campfire kitchen down there. They LOVED it. John loved to sit right int he middle, pick up sand in his hands and watch it fall slowly back to the ground. He wiggled his legs and hands around in it, too, getting thoroughly caked in dirt a few times a day.

After about 10 minutes at camp, I decided the boys were going to wear the same clothes the rest of the time we were there. John had already covered himself in dirt and Oreo cookie, and Henry had totally face-planted right into the dirt covering himself and his clothes in the dark earth. (Which was half sad half hilarious.)

Henry's shirt and John's romper were expendable, and both were so filthy by the end of our two days there I just threw them away. But oh, they had fun! And that's what matters.





Papa fell asleep watching the boys play. :) Can't blame him, he had no sleep the night before (see below)



We did give them each two baths in the little Rubbermaid tub. John hated both baths, Henry loved the first bath hated the second (a combination of tired and having lots of scrapes that probably hurt when they were scrubbed.) He did LOVE the spigot down by the bathrooms though. we made a few trips there to rinse off.



A lot of junk was consumed on this trip, and none of the boys ate a square meal outside of breakfast. lots of Oreos, chips, animal crackers.....yeah. not much good food. But hey--two days of junk won't kill ya, right?




We spent quite a bit of time down at the lake, which was lovely. The water wasn't too cold, and Henry barreled right in all the way up to his chest. We had to keep reminding him that he couldn't go in past his belly button without an adult right there with him, he was having so much fun. He really didn't get in to sitting on the rafts or anything, unlike Caleb who LOVED it. He would sit for a few minutes, but then wanted to get back out and walk around in the shallows and squirt Nana with the squirt guns.





The evening we arrived we took a nice walk around the lake, as there is a one mile paved pathway that is really nice. I think that might have been my favorite part. We talked about the flowers we saw, watched people fishing, and "trip trapped" over the little wooden bridges. It was quiet, peaceful, and beautiful.


I wish I could say our trip was all fun in the dirt and the lake, but it wasn't. Dallon and Papa (especially Papa) didn't feel well most of the second day, which was a bummer.

But the worst.... John maybe, MAYBE, slept about 2 hours. We got him to bed ok and he went to sleep fairly quickly, but it wasn't long after I got in bed that he woke up crying. Poor fellow had a nasty diaper. I got it changed and gave him a few swallows of milk (all he would take) and he went back to sleep. I thought all was well but oh no.

The rest of the night was a nightmare. Seriously.

He woke up just screaming. He refused the rest of his bottle (probably because it was cold) and would not calm down unless I was holding him, sitting up, so he could snuggle up against me. The poor thing had terrible gas, and I think between that, the cold, and not knowing where he was, he had no interest in being put back in the pack-n-play. For the first time since he was a brand-newbie he let me put him down next to me to sleep. He tried really hard to sleep, but kept waking up and crying a bit, trying to find me. Hhen I had to go to the bathroom, that was the last straw; I left him with Papa, but oh was he mad. He just screamed. Screamed and screamed. He wouldn't calm down at all. When I came back, I tried again to get him to fall asleep, but he wouldn't. So, I grabbed his blanket and the keys, and we headed to the car. (somehow through all this, Henry was fast asleep. Thank goodness!)

John actually cuddled up on my chest and fell all the way asleep while we were in the car. I couldn't sleep at all I was so uncomfortable, but I was grateful at least one of us was getting some rest. We were there about 40 minutes when I looked up and saw Papa holding Henry in the window. Poor thing had woken up and couldn't find me. Nana and Papa told me he didn't get hysterical or anything, but that he kept asking for me. I gave John to Papa and Henry and I went back to bed. Papa sat with John out by the campfire, and I think that baby was just so exhausted from all the screaming he fell asleep. I was SO grateful. It was 5:30 at this point and I hadn't slept at all. Neither had anyone else in our tent, really. Or probably the whole campground. Oh, except for Henry.

Henry and I crawled back into our sleeping bags and I checked his blood. Low low low. So, I ran and got him a marshmallow, which he ate and then cuddled up right next to me and fell asleep. When we actually got up a few hours later, John greeted us with a grin and a "hi!"

I wasn't really amused, but who can help but smile at that happy face?

Henry was such a champ for the trip. He really did great. Despite some pretty high and low blood sugars, he was helpful, happy, and eager to play with Caleb and John for the trip. Unfortunately, my Henry has this thing with toilets. He really only wants to use ones he's familiar with.

The kid refused to poo. It was another nightmare, because he had to go so bad. Finally, we let him go in the bushes. He was happier with that than the clean, flushing toilets down by the lake (I do not understand). It was frustrating, but what can you do? Other than that and one meltdown about a band-aid being put on a big scrape on his knee, Henry really was very easy and good the whole time.

We were going to stay two nights, but after night 1 with John and Henry's refusal to poo, I decided to pack it up and head home. We stayed for Greg's delicious (seriously delicious) Dutch Oven dinner and cake then we drove home. The boys were SO tired. We didn't even make it out of the campground before John was asleep and Henry was nodding. After the 40 minute drive, we arrived home where Derek was waiting for us (finally home from being away on business) and put Henry straight in bed, no questions asked. John took a bottle and quickly followed suit.


So, yeah---it wasn't perfect. But we all really had fun. Really! Henry keeps talking about it and, even a few days later, he likes to pretend that he's going camping. I would say that means it was a successful first camping trip for him.

Some more fun:



this lasted all of 5 minutes for Sam and I...but oh well. :D



Thursday/Friday: June 23-24


I decided to just do the audio in this video. Pardon all the "what are you doing?" I was trying to get the boys to talk. :)


 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha I love this! You are a rockstar momma! We haven't taken Lincoln camping yet because he refuses to sleep anywhere but his crib...so I'm nervous we'd end up in the car too. But you survived it! Maybe we'll be brave and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete